Monday, April 12, 2010

Friday's Flakes

Friday was a disaster.

I thought I had two shows from two different agents. One agent booked me for 9 p.m. The other agent also booked me for 9 p.m. I had the other agent scale back the time for 10:30 p.m.

Early Friday, the first agent told me that he couldn't get in touch with the 9 p.m. party to confirm the show. He gave me the girl's number and told me to try and salvage the party if possible. He complained a bit about the lack of integrity of this certain party and then hung up on me.

Soon afterward, the second agent gave me the contact information for the 10:30 p.m. party. That was when I noticed the problem.

The contact information for both parties was the same.

That meant the party cancelled on my first agent without telling him and booked me with my second agent, which was stupid because the price and the male dancer remained the same. Nevertheless, I called them to confirm the show with my second agent.

The lady who answered had the voice of a tuba. I told her that I was the entertainer for tonight and was calling to confirm. She asked if I was black. I told her that I wasn't.

"Oh, well we done booked another dancer--we found a black guy," she said rudely.

"Well did you cancel with the agent?" I asked.

"Nah, we'll do that later," she said.

"You should've done that, because I was schedule to arrive tonight."

"Yeah, yeah. We'll cancel later."

She never did.

I called both agents and told them about the cancellation, because if I'm scheduled for the show, then I'm suppose to send the agent's cut of the money. I explained to both agents that the party hired a black dancer instead. Both agents were pissed. They both told me that they were going to call these girls up and cuss at them. One

I wasn't angry at all about the cancellation. If these girls lacked this much consideration and integrity this early on, then I would have experienced such a tenfold of misery at the party.

I did learn one thing: there is a new black dancer nearby, so perhaps I don't have a monopoly on the black girl parties anymore. We'll see...

Fortunately, Saturday offset Friday's disappointment.

2 comments: